The regular (full) version of SwissSys supports tournaments run using guidelines from both the US Chess Federation and FIDE, the international chess body.The FIDE-only version of the program is designed to support only tournaments run under the rules of FIDE. (Only FIDE's Dutch pairing system -- by far the most popular -- is currently supported).
A few options supported in the regular version are not available in the FIDE-only version, In general, if you plan to run events in the U.S., you will need the full version. If not, you might want to take advantage of the introductory low price offered to FIDE arbiters.
If you buy the FIDE-only version and later decide to upgrade to the full version, you will only need to pay the difference in price between the two.
Here is a list of the main features that are not supported in the FIDE-only version:
- USCF pairing system
- Pairing options disallowed by FIDE's strict pairing rules (e.g., the "soft" pairing restrictions, where pairings are avoided unless doing so requires pairing out of the score bracket)
- Plus-2 team pairing system
- USCF and CFC rating reports
- Quick set-up of the USCF database
- USCF membership forms and other reports specific to USCF events
Other than that, the two versions are identical.
Which version of SwissSys do I need?